Thursday, May 19, 2005

STARTING COUNTDOWN CLOCK...

So the book has a cover (which I'm a little disappointed with, but never mind), and a release date: September 9, 2005. Almost exactly four years after my first book came out. (Street date on that one was September 11, 2001. No, really.)

The manuscript has to be 100 percent finished, edited and author approved by June 6, so I'm gonna be spending the next week or two exchanging versions of chapters with the copy editor, who seemed like a decent enough guy on the phone. I did a quick re-read of some early chapters the other day, and I'm pretty happy with it. There are a few things I need to add, just for the sake of touching on releases that have come out since I turned in the first version, but other than that, it is what it is. Whoever's gonna hate it, is gonna hate it, no matter what I do now. And I already got paid. So fuck, let's just get it on already, right?

I've got two competing ideas for my next book rattling around in my head. The one isn't coming together as quickly as I'd like (usually, when I decide to write a novel, it appears in my brain fully-formed), but the other will require extensive research for historical accuracy. I think I'm up to the homework, so I'm gonna go with the latter, and if the currently semi-shapeless idea starts to sharpen up in my mind, I'll make detailed notes, and that'll be the book after next.

In the meantime, I earned some grocery money by writing about Porcupine Tree this week, so go read that if you want. The new album's good; you should buy it. It'll make you much happier than the new System of a Down disc will. I've only listened to that record once, but it really didn't impress me at all, and I can't imagine myself going back for another helping at the end of the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate this book.