Thursday, June 08, 2006

HAIL SATAN, I GUESS

I would have posted this earlier, but I didn't get a copy of the disc until 6/7/06 (and anyway, I think Blogger shit the bed yesterday). Anyhow, the new Deicide album The Stench Of Redemption, which comes out on Earache on I think August 22, is really fucking good. This is directly traceable to the recent departure of the guitarist Hoffman brothers and their replacement by Jack Owen (ex-Cannibal Corpse) and Ralph Santolla (ex-Death). Every solo on this album is a precise, concise, technical marvel. Gone are the tedious whammy-bar squeals masquerading as solos that were all over Scars Of The Crucifix, replaced with actual guitar solos! Plus, the album is actually album-length; a full 39 minutes, not the 26-minute fob-off the last one was. (I think that was just the result of Glen devoting most of his energy to the recording of Vital Remains' mind-crushing Dechristianize more or less at the same time, but it was a real slap in the face to Deicide fans nonetheless.)

I know it's gonna be almost three months before the album drops, but seriously, bookmark this post and come back in August. Deicide are a whole new band, The Stench Of Redemption is a fucking killer album, very probably destined for my year-end list, and you're gonna need to own one more than you've needed to own a Deicide release in a long time.

No comments: